Friday, October 28, 2011

Candy Corn Cupcakes

Candy Corn Cupcakes

These cupcakes were inspired by the girls over at Our Best Bites and they are a super easy and fun treat to make! I made a batch today, and since I was in a hurry, I "cheated" and made them straight from a boxed mix and used a can of frosting. *gasp*

You will need the following ingredients: Yellow cake mix (plus ingredients to make), cupcake liners, yellow and orange food coloring, frosting, and candy corn.

Start by mixing your cake mix according to the directions, then divide the batter evenly (which I also failed to do) into two separate bowls. Using your food coloring, add enough to make one bowl yellow and the other bowl orange. Also, try and use orange food coloring instead of mixing red and yellow (which I did for these) because it turns out kind of blah instead of bright.



Next you want to scoop the yellow batter into the cupcake liners filling them all evenly. Now, the first "helpful" thing my husband did for me today was agree that candy corn colors go orange, yellow, then white. However, in his defense, if I hadn't been too lazy to walk into the other room to actually get the candy corn and look for myself, I wouldn't have had this problem. So... My cupcakes were a little out of order color-wise!

Here is my pan with the first layer of batter in it... If you are doing it correctly though, yours will be yellow. Next, you want to add your orange batter on top. Now, as you can see in the picture, I didn't divide my batter very evenly when I colored it, so I had way more orange than yellow, which resulted in the orange peeking out from the sides.


Bake your cupcakes according to the directions. I always set my timer for the lowest suggested time and check them until they are done to avoid overcooking them.

When you pull them out, this is what they will look like (only with colors reversed). If you did a better job dividing your batter than I did, you won't have the color bleed through on top like mine did. Also, you won't have a row of sad plain orange cupcakes!


When you open the cupcake up it has fun layers inside!


The idea behind these cupcakes is that they are supposed to look like candy corn. They will have layers of yellow, orange, and the white tip is the white frosting you add to the top. Simply frost the tops and stick a couple of candy corn in it. So easy!


Oh, and the second "helpful" thing my husband did for me was eat my "model" cupcake I had picked out... After I specifically told him, "you can eat a cupcake, but not this one with the candy corn on top". He said he "misunderstood". I think it just looked the most delicious!

1 comment: